I'm a sleepy girl

Monday, August 18, 2008

So I'm going to sleep right after this.

Some devil brought moonshine to my boss' birthday party. It was baaaad news for me. But the party was fun, the band was pretty good, and I think my boss had a good time, so we'll call it a success. I had enough margaritas so I didn't mind taking pictures, which I told Jamie I would do. I texted her a little bit Sunday but haven't talked to her yet to get her side of the story. We haven't been drinking at all on the South Beach diet, or having much sugar, so you can imagine how hard those margaritas hit us. :-S We really like not drinking but I guess it'll take some retraining on our limits when we do indulge!

Today, all the faculty members at work (at school) came back, and they had a huge meeting for the whole college of ed. The office was crazy busy, I hope that's just a beginning of the semester thing because it's hard to concentrate on work with all the interesting conversations I could overhear. People aren't afraid to talk about other people. Whew! I have noticed that the higher ranked profs gossip less (if at all) and are very diplomatic and professional to everyone even if someone comes into their office steaming mad. I am taking notes.

My nephew called us yesterday and sounded really bummed. As I think most people in his situation would be. First he called me a few times but I didn't recognize the number and didn't answer, then he called Tom and Tom talked to him. He called me later that night. I hadn't talked to him since June and I didn't really know what to say without sounding like a parent. The obvious is, "What the heck are you thinking?!?!" But knowing he doesn't know the answer to that (I hated that question from my parents!), what am I left with? I asked him how it was going, which was such a dumb question because I know how it's going. He said he hates it at his dad's, and I tried to encourage him to behave and be patient. Behave, I hate that word too. I just wish he can find a way to be motivated to do good instead, for the lightbulb to turn on so he'd realize that the way he's going isn't working. But he knows that, I think maybe he just doesn't know how to break those habits.

So, I had spent a long time worried about him, Tom and I reached out to him and didn't hear from him, so I kinda felt good knowing we had done what we could, but now I'm back to worrying again. But I'm really glad he called because I feel better knowing he can get in touch with us if he's stuck. When he ran away, I wished he knew our numbers and knew he didn't.

And that's been my Sunday and Monday. Hope everyone's week is off on the right foot!

0 comments:

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template