Reviews

Friday, July 18, 2008

1. Love and War in Texas. We went to the Grapevine location (there is another in Plano) last Saturday after the baseball game with Reade and Danyelle. I started with a margarita. I am usually hesitant to try margaritas because they are so hit and miss, and once you've found the perfect rita at Cristina's and perfected your own personal rita recipe, it's hard for other ritas to measure up. I was NOT disappointed! It was GREAT! I ordered a tex-mex plate with a beef enchilada, cheese enchilada, tamale, and a taco (I never order those monstrosities with 4 different items, but that was all they had with an enchilada on it.) It was GREAT! Tom had "The Hunt", which had antelope steak, venison sausage, and quail. Reade had buffalo fajitas, and Danyelle had some kind of tilapia. I tried everything on the table, and it was GREAT! Oh, and the best part was the price. My awesome strong margarita was only $6.95. Tom's huge 36 oz. beer was only $6.95. All the entrees were reasonably priced too.

I was afraid maybe since I'd already had a few beers before I got there, that might be why everything was GREAT! Still, I couldn't shake the thought of those buffalo fajitas from my head all week long. And when it came time to finalize birthday plans for Thursday, I opted for Love and War in Texas. Over Cristina's. Can you believe it??

So John, Kimberlee, Greg, and a girl he invited named Delana met us there last night. I had buffalo fajitas with some shrimp, Tom and Greg each had roasted wild boar, Kimberlee had ribs, and John had fried oysters and grilled shrimp. My fajitas were everything I remembered from sampling Reade's. Yum! I don't think I'll get the shrimp again though - if you think about it, shrimp fajitas is a bad idea anyway since it all keeps cooking on the hot skillet after it gets served, so the shrimp is destined to become overcooked and tough. That roasted wild boar Tom had...OMG. Amazing! Kimberlee's ribs? They were dry-style, not saucy and juicy, but had great flavor and were tender. Drinks were great, and there were girls walking around with free Coors Light and tequila shots. (As I learned on the river and confirmed last night, free booze is one of my major weaknesses.)

Anyway, a good time was had by all, the food was delicious, the birthday was extensively celebrated, and we have found a new favorite restaurant.

2. The Dark Knight. We saw it today at 2pm. Wow! I LOVED it. Not the feel-good movie of the year, in fact, Tom and I were both pretty bummed afterward (I'm feeling better having written about the tasty food at LAWIT). Of course, the big buzz is Heath Ledger's Joker, and I thought it was pretty remarkable. The movie gave me the same feeling as Silence of the Lambs. Just scary enough. Batman is kinda scary, that's why I didn't like the first one with Cristian Bale (Batman Begins). They have this all set up for the next movie too - I won't give it away how though. I was surprised! The movie was long, but honestly, I could've sat through another 2.5 hours of that dark, scary goodness.

3. (Because 2 isn't enough to warrant a numbered list, but 3 is.) The Acapulco chicken salad at Jack in the Box. Of course it's good because the dressing packet has 24 grams of fat. Cilantro lime dressing. Yummo!

In other news, we are finally starting South Beach Sunday. They say the gut goes first, and I hope they're right!

1 comments:

Lady Blachly said...

I really want to try that place now. The one in Plano isn't too far from us. Yumm!

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template