Garden, canning, fishing, etc.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Well, we pulled up almost everything from our summer garden. We left two jalepeno and two okra plants, because I'm sure they will keep putting out. This evening I planted about 7 each of cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli, along with one cucumber plant and some cilantro and basil. BASIL! It smells amazing. I can't wait to have fresh basil at my beckon call. Hopefully our first fall garden will be successful.

Tomorrow is the TKF DFW chapter fish fry. I made up two huge batches of different coleslaws. They are both good. Will post recipes later. Afterward we are going to buy some potting soil and stuff for my next canning adventure, which will be either Saturday or early Sunday.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001475pickled_jalapenos_escabeche.php
This is the recipe I'm going to try for the FIVE pounds of jalapenos I picked off my plants today. Doesn't it look yummy?

I bought tickets for me, my mom, and my sister for Kenny G with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra today. It's the first week of October. :-) I am pretty pumped about it!

Anyway........have a great weekend, folks! Will update after my next canning adventure.

EDIT: Crap, I forgot the important reason why I posted this! We tried the peppers from my original canning attempt in July. They were HOT! We shared a glass of milk after having 2 slices each. LOL Anyway, I have spicy food lovers that I'll give them too, I'm just glad they didn't have weird mold or something growing on them. The seal was great, it was pretty difficult to get the lid off, so it was a success!

0 comments:

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template