Crock Pot Mondays

Saturday, October 11, 2008

I accidentally started a tradition here by trying a pot roast in the crock pot 2 weeks ago. Clint was lonely because his girlfriend was outta town, the Heroes season premiere was coming on, so we invited him over for dinner, and I wanted to make something extra tasty knowing that the diet of the poor single male isn't always that good. Luckily, his roommate works at Dominos, so at least the kid isn't going hungry. I think Clint is the type that might forget to eat if someone didn't remind him. I know Tom's that way. Tom married a food lover though, so he isn't allowed to forget meals anymore.

I have never used my crockpot consistently. I always associated it with soups, stews, chili, and Rotel dip. But now I've taken a renewed interested after some recent successes.

Anyway, I made this pot roast from Kalyn's Kitchen (my links aren't working lately, sorry you'll have to copy and paste): http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/01/crock-pot-recipe-for-southwestern-pot.html

Sunday night, I browned the roast, reduced the broth, and stored them separate in the fridge. Monday morning, I threw it all in the crockpot and it sat on low while I went to work. It was sooooo good! It was ridiculously tender, and I loved the sauce. The guys loved it too.

So last Monday, I tried an even simpler one, Sour Cream Salsa Chicken. I don't remember where I found it, it's so simple that I already have it memorized. 1 lb of thawed chicken (or whatever amount really...I just had a bag of 3 breasts that I'd divided from one of those huge value packs, I assume it was a lb) goes in the crockpot. Sprinkle a packet of reduced sodium taco seasoning on top, then top with 1 cup of your favorite salsa. Cooked all day on low while I was at work. Pull the chicken out and stir 1/4 cup (I used more like 1/2 cup) sour cream into the saucy leavin's in the pot (the recipe called for cornstarch, I didn't think it needed any extra thickening, so I left it out), then eat that sauce with the chicken. It was devine. It was the most tender, fall-apart, delicious chicken ever. It would've been great in tacos or enchiladas. We ate it alone with some veggies.

So it's my new Monday thing. This week I'm going to try this one:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/07/crockpot-peppercorn-steak.html

This week I'll post pictures of the deliciousness.

1 comments:

Tammy Benson-O'Brien said...

I fyou come across any crockpot meatless recipes be sur eto let me know - I've had a hard time finding any that sound tasty. :0)

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template